Monday, May 25, 2009

90 Days feels like a lifetime

We have officially crossed the 90 day mark and after one more weekend we should be finished. It has felt like it has taken 'forever' to get to this point and I keep finding myself recounting the months, cuz it feels like it has taken 6 months instead of just 3.

Ok, for an update... Maybe there should be more progress since my last post, but it's the details that take the most time. The Spar varnish is starting to go on and in some places it's finished after 3 coats. I was hoping to find time to make wooden fenders, but in response to a limited amount of time, I instead painted the metal ones a copper color to better compliment the look of the natural oak and cedar. There will be time for fenders later. If I could just skip working on work stuff, I would have all kinds of time :-) Just kidding Boss. The upper hatch is done, the bracket to hold the hatch up is complete, the trim is on covering most of the red trailer frame. The interior of the cabin has some of the polyurethane on it, the Paper Towel holder is designed and installed (Thank you sweetheart for the design help). Some other little niggly details are finished up as well. And 'Yes Dad" I pulled the bearings and repacked them, I will replace them with Timken's ($$) after the trip.

The porch lights are wired and installed and the latches to hold the hatch closed are installed as well. The frames for the lower galley doors are put together and the panels are glued up. The copper screw caps are installed on the upper hatch and look really cool.
So next weekend I have to put the doors together and install them (in theory the windows arrive on Wednesday). I am in Long Beach and Dallas this week and by the time I get home late on Friday night, I will only have 2 days to finish everything that needs to be done before the maiden voyage starting on the 5th of June.

No comments:

Post a Comment