Saturday, April 11, 2009

Great Accomplishments

Well today turned into a great day. After a very slow start and way too much time spent second-guessing my strategy. I finally got motivated and got some things accomplished on the trailer. One of the really neat things that I noticed today, more than any other day is the sheer number of people that slow down as they drive by either to try to figure out what on earth is going on or to check progress. One person squealed their tires slowing down so fast.

One of my happiest additions to the design came today when I finally installed the rear bumper. it is 1 3/4 inch red oak and I added a little bit of adornment.



In the center of the bumper I carved our initials and a heart just like you would carve them in a tree trunk. It is a subtle addition but definitely personalizes this project.




Next came working out the cabinets inside the cabin, the ones that will be above our feet when we are snoring, actually it will probably just be me snoring. :-) There will be a pair of doors, and 3 drawers and then a really cool addition in the center that I will wait to explain when I get it built.


Finally, today I completed the drawer/tray in the galley that the camp stove will be on. This shot shows the drawer stowed/pinned in place.




This shot shows the rig pulled out and the drawer pinned in the open position. This reinforces the planning that has gone into this project. By coming up with this design, even when we are using the cookstove, we still have access to all the drawers, cabinets, and counter space. Now that's thoughtful design.

2 comments:

  1. thoughtful design indeed. Can't say enough about the teardrop. Looks better and better with every update. Have a Happy Easter!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. where's this week's update?? Get to work!! You're making my trailer to borrow!! :-D

    ReplyDelete